25 May 2008

Cristiano Ronaldo's press conference before the Viseu Portugal training, Saturday May 24.

Photo: euro2008.sapo.pt/multimedia/fotos/conferencias_imprensa

Before the Portugal team trains, it's a habit to have a press conference with 2 players. They're different players everytime. On Saturday, May 24, it was Cristiano Ronaldo's turn and Nani's. Most questions were about him the player. I wanted more questions on winning the UEFA EURO 2008.

Inevitably he was asked about Real Madrid's interest:

"What the press is speculating, doesn't bother me. I'm used to it for the last 2 years already. I'm relaxed." He added that "in 2 or 3 weeks there will be news" about his future.

About his achievements in the Premier League

"Naturally, I'm satisfied and proud of the triumphs in the premiership and in the Champions League."

He said that not all his goals "go only though this."

"I'm here, I want to give my best and do the best possible in the UEFA EURO 2008 (Europeo).

"I had a great season. I was the best scorer in England, of Europe and of the Champions League. I think I don't have to prove anything, but I always want to be good and the best for me. I'm going to try to do things right and give my best, do everything for a good EURO 2008 ("Europeo"). Now it depends on all of us."

Photo: euro2008.sapo.pt/multimedia/fotos/conferencias_imprensa

Remember that foul on him by Carvalho in the Champions League final? He was asked about it and said:

"My relationship with Carvalho is great ("espectacular"). They're situations in the game, normal ones."

About his missed penalty in the Champions League final.

"Soccer is like that, only the one that kicks missed. I have already scored decisive goals. This time it was my teammates who did their role and scored. But the title (Champions League) is won and it's not necessary to speak about what happened."

Now onto UEFA EURO 2008. Finally.

He was asked how he found the group- the 22 Portugal players at the team camp in Viseu. He said what made the headlines in the Record sports newspaper "a união é que vai fazer a diferença." (Unity is what will make the difference.) "If we have unity, I think we'll get far."

He's willing to play in any attacking position and said that despite there being "3 strikers in the national team ("selecção")" and that "it's very hard to play in that position, at least initially."

Cristiano Ronaldo will be wearing the number 7 on his jersey. He said that the number he'll wear is not important to him, and that after the way Figo wore it in the national team, "it's a privilege" for him to wear the same number (7).

Next he was asked about his goals expectations after being leading goalscorer in the Premiership

"We're going to see. I hope so. I can't promise anything if not that I'm going to work for it."

Source: www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=788010&idCanal=1252

Photo: euro2008.sapo.pt/multimedia/fotos/conferencias_imprensa





- Some people are saying that he's letting himself be courted by Real Madrid because he wants a more lucrative contract from Manchester United, do you agree?







See more posts with "Cristiano Ronaldo"