14 February 2009

Video- Brazilian born Liedson interview- play for the Portugal national team, Selecção Portuguesa?

By the end of March 2009- 31-year old, Liedson will become a Portuguese citizen. Yes he was born in Brazil but he's been playing in Portugal for Sporting CP the last 6 years. Today, Feb 14, 2009, he stated that he wants to play for Portugal.

Feb 14, 2009- Video- Liedson interview in Portuguese to SportTV:

English translation:

"I feel Portuguese for a long time now. I love this country and appreciate the people who love me and that respect the history I've made here at Sporting CP. Therefore, for everything that has happened I am getting a Portuguese passport."

"When I get my Portuguese citizenship and everything is settled legally, nothing will prevent me from playing in the Portugal national team. It's something that needs to be well-thought and it also depends on the people there. For my part, there is no problem. All the players dream of playing for their country, no matter where they are."

"I will never stop being Brazilian. I love my country like I also love Portugal. It's just that the competition in my position is big. Of course, the people who are in my position deserve to be there and are taking advantage of the opportunity."

About facing Brazil in a game:
"My heart will be divided but I will do my best for Portugal wherever I play no matter what because I am a professional football player. I love Portugal a lot. I'm very comfortable here, feel good and that's what matters."

Nickname: o Levezinho. Goal celebration: hand next to his ear, similar to Luca Toni's.

---------
Get tickets for 2010 qualificationsWorld Cup 2010 Qualification Tickets Sensitive issue, Portuguese born only players in the Selecção Nacional Portuguesa, or include talented Brazilian-born players like Deco and Pepe and now Liedson?

Carlos Queiroz supports the idea of including Liedson.
On January 25, 2009 Queiroz said: "He's a special striker and it will be absurd to not think of Liedson. However, neither the coach or the national team have to be after the players to ask them to represent a country."

Does the Selecção need another striker like Liedson right now? You bet! Yes!
Sporting CP's #31 scores important goals for his club. When he's absent one can see it in the team performance. He has scored 129 goals.



Bookmark and Share



blog comments powered by Disqus