16 November 2008

Video Nuno Gomes interview Mar 4, 2008


Video Nuno Gomes interview to SAPO
Mar 4, 2008


This interview is from March. It was the season that Benfica won NO trophies. Nuno Gomes talks about Benfica having a winning spirit. Includes footage of Gomes jogging.

00:00 Question: What do you think needs to be done to get more positive results?

Nuno Gomes:
It's obvious that the fans are not happy to see our position on the table. Also the difference of points between us and FC Porto. The players don't like to see our position in the table either. The players are trying to change that but it won't be easy. Unfortunately, we couldn't count on having all the players fit at a time. Like I said in other interviews, some players, and I say thins to calm the fans, the players work every day.

00:58 Question: How can you transmit that difficulty to the fans?

Nuno Gomes:
Some fans might think we the players don't care about Benfica's position in the table. That's not true. Like I said, the players are the first ones to not like the distance between us and Porto. We're tired of hearing that we don't have the will to change the situation.

01:47 Question: So what's missing?

Nuno Gomes:
It's not just this year. After winning the league we thought we'd get used to a winning trend. Unfortunately we couldn't keep wining. Obivously, the players want to be champions again.

02:32 Question: This season 2008-09?

Nuno Gomes:
Sure. If it was possible. We know it wil be hard because FC Porto is very far away. Nevertheless we want to at least keep our current position, second, because it will let us automatically play in the Champions League. So if we don't get first place then second is still good.

03:00 Question: What does Nuno Gomes think of his career? There were some games where he couldn't score and got criticisms from fans, journalists. How does he react when things don't go right?

Nuno Gomes:
I always react the same way. I'm a balanced person. I can recognize the fans. It's normal. Criticisms. It's also normal to get praise when players score. I always give my best and work hard to help the team. I continue working to get in better shape.

04:00- Your future?

Nuno Gomes:
I have one more year left in my contract. I'd like to finish my career here in Benfica. I learned here to be what I am today. Like I said, I have one more year. But I don't know about tomorrow. However, in this moment I'm not thinking about that. I want to play right now, being injured, I can't wait to start playing again.

05:15- You don't think you'll end your career next season? You want to keep playing

Nuno Gomes:
I don't think about the end of career. Sure I know I'm over 30 years old. Here in Portugal they see players over 30 years old as being older. I don't think I need tro end.

Your thoughts?

blog comments powered by Disqus