05 June 2008

Day 4, June 5th Press conference Ricardo and Fernando Meira.


Today's press conference with the 2 Portugal players Ricardo and central defender Fernando Meira. After it, the Portugal training at Stade Maladiere. Here's what goalkeeper Ricardo said:

About him starting in the Portugal -Turkey match. This because in the training session of June 3rd, he played in the substitutes team.

"I don't have any advantage. I'm here to help the national team. In goal it's me, or Quim or Rui [Patrício] and nobody can be underestimated. To represent the
national team is always a difficult mission."

Specifically in the Portugal-Turkey Euro 2008 match:
"I'm in one goal and Quim in the other one. I don't know if they'll let us... I'm confident and I'm working for it. On Saturday, the best team will walk onto the pitch to face Turkey."
About opponents Turkey:
"Turkey as a team is valuable. It changed it's style of game. It has a football that is less direct, that even looks like ours. I think we're perfectly ready for Saturday."

"We hope to be here until the end of the month. But now we're prepared to face Turkey, knowing that it's important to go in to win. Then, we'll think about the next match."

About facing Nihat (who plays in Villareal)

"I already faced Nihat and he even says that he has some things to take care of in the European Championship. It's always good to know some of your opponents."


About the new Euro 2008 soccer ball:

"I only got to know the soccer ball in the training camp, but that's normal. Everything new that appears in soccer/football is to make it more difficult for goalkeepers. Those are the arms we have and it's with those that we have to go to war."


About his current form with Real Betis:

"I played 28 matches. I was absent in 4 because of injury and 6 as an option. In
my opinion I had a great season. It was a positive season, almost the same as
the one before. That's why I'm satisfied."

Source: www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=789514&idCanal=1252




- What did you think of his statements?
So, Ricardo or Quim for Portugal-Turkey?