30 May 2008

"Obviously, he who wants to be in the starting 11 has to work for it" said Nuno Gomes. Will he be in starting in Portugal-Turkey in EURO 2008?



There have been reports in the local news that the Portugal team players have not been courteous with the local fans! I don't know how true it can be. The team is there to focus on the EURO 2008 so they need to be concentrated in the camp.
Today Nuno Gomes was asked about that:

"Antipathy? I don't think so. I even read in a newspaper- I can't say which one- that the team was too relaxed, that it had to be more focused on training. There are always 2 sides of the story, someone who criticizes and another one that praises."

Image Source: http://euro2008.sapo.pt/multimedia/fotos/estagio_em_viseu
Nuno Gomes at the Viseu portugal training

He then continued that

"We have been nice and we have appreciated the support of the people... They asked us if the fact that the people in the stands that came to see the trainings made us uncomfortable, and we answered that it didn't. In other words, we opt to have people in the stands."

Regarding him being no longer the guaranteed forward in the starting lineup like in past tournaments:
"Nothing changes. I'm still here giving my all, body and soul. Being captain doesn't change my responsibility, and of the 23, anyone of them can be in the starting lineup ("titular"). Obviously, he who wants to be in the starting 11 has to work for it. But if I end up in the substitutes bench, I'll be another supporter that supports my teammates."

About the special focus on this EURO 2008:
"If I can be decisive, that will be a good sign. I recognize that I didn't have a good season at Benfica, for various reasons, but in this moment I feel ready to fulfill expectations."

Source: www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=788759&idCanal=1252

I think he's aware that Nani and Hugo Almeida are a strong competition. I think after him, Scolari's option is Postiga. I have a feeling Nuno Gomes will finally be 2nd or 3rd option for foward.
Arrow
- What do you think of his statements?





See more posts with "Nuno Gomes"

Elegant Portugal players in black tie!

  • Obviously, he who wants to be in the starting 11 has to work for it" said Nuno Gomes. Will he be in starting in Portugal-Turkey in EURO 2008?
  • 30 second commercial of TMN- Nuno Gomes cheering for Quaresma's "tribela" goal
  • Photo of Nuno Gomes in Portugal 2-0 Turkey Euro 2008 match, June 7th
  • Personal fotos, Nuno Gomes in a Fiorentina jersey in his Official website www.nunogomes.com


    • blog comments powered by Disqus