09 March 2009

Left-back Antunes- stay in the Serie A.

Today one of my favorite coaches was sacked, Lecce coach Mario Beretta. He signed Portuguese left-back Antunes from AS Roma, on loan. I would say "rescued" Antunes from the bench of AS Roma. Unfortunately, Antunes wasn't always in the starting lineup and spent most Lecce games on the bench.

Everytime Esposito was in the Lecce starting lineup, I knew the left-back alternative, Antunes, was on the bench. In the last 2 games Antunes didn't play at all.

Yesterday, Antunes was not even called up for Lecce 0-0 Reggina (March 8, 2009). Udinese 2-0 Lecce (Mar 1, 2009, Matchday 26). When they faced Mourinho's Inter at home they lost by 3-0 (Feb 27m 2009, Matchday 23). Once again, Antunes was NOT even on the Lecce bench.

I miss watching him play. I got to watch him play in the UEFA Sub21 tournament and then FIFA Under20 world cup in Canada. All on TV of course. He's an attacking defender that makes runs on the left side. Another of his specialties are free kicks. He'll probably be best remembered for missing the penalty in the penalty shootout against Italy that made Portugal lose the 3rd place game.

I was excited that he signed with AS Roma in 2007-2008. Big club, great experienced teammates. Always on the bench. Only played in the last month.

When Beretta signed him I thought he'd play at Lecce. I hope he doesn't return to the Portuguese league and stays in the Serie A. I have RaiItalia TV so at least I can see the Serie A games.

Hope he plays next season every week.



Bookmark and Share



blog comments powered by Disqus