29 May 2008

"I don't feel like a substitute" said Portugal defender Miguel- Will he be in the starting lineup? Yes, No, why?



On Thursday, May 29, Valencia defender Miguel was in the press conference, next to Ricardo Quaresma. Is Miguel still going to start in the team? Is the competition too strong?

Image Source: http://euro2008.sapo.pt/multimedia/fotos/estagio_em_viseu


About him being in the starting lineup: "I always get together the conditions to play. I cam to this training camp very motivated and with lots of desire to help the national team. I am going to give my best, if I am going to play, is for the manager Scolari to decide. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I am here for the work I've done for the national team and in my club."

About the competition he faces as right-back: "I always want to play but it's not always possible. There is lots of competition, like Bosingwa and Paulo Ferreira

Then added "I don't feel like a substitute. Manager Scolari has his choice and Bosingwa has played but in the team, supposedly, will be starting in the 1st match. But, even if I don't play, whoever does will have all my support."

About Cristiano Ronaldo: [Monica 08' opinion, my gosh, they asked every player about him. Each one was reluctant to keep saying he's the best player in the world.] "

He's a great player and one that makes the difference. In this moment, for me and for everybody, he's the best player in the world. We're proud to have a player like Cristiano, in addition to other great things we have in the national team."

About how far Portugal can go in the UEFA EURO 2008: "

The objective is to pass the 1st stage and, if I play, better, but I don't know
what will happend from now on. Everyone of us has their dreams: the people want
to get to the final and win. But we're going to see what happens. In principle,
to go through the 1st stage it will be pretty difficult."

About group unity and spirit in the Viseu Portugal training camp.

"In this moment, it's a new group, with many players that will participate for
the 1st time in a big competition for national teams. You can't ask for
everything at once and we'll work for it in that aspect. We have a very strong
group, that every day is getting to know each other better. Our objective is to
be more united on June 7th. We're going to do the group work and individual work
will appear naturally. Beyond that, the unitya that was always in this group
will make the difference."

"There is enough quality in these 23 players. What we still need to work on is the group work. And like I said, there are many new players that we're still getting to know. We have little time to work, but I think we have the conditions to make an excellent European championship and win it."

About former Valencia manager Quique Sanchez Flores, now manager at Benfica: "He was a very important manager. In the 2 and a half years that we were together, I learned many things and I'm vbery grategul for what he taught me. I think that in the World Cup you could see the work I did with Quique in Valencia. It was excellent work, I won a lot by working with him."

Source: www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=788638&idCanal=1252

What do you think of his statements?



blog comments powered by Disqus